When a new employee joins a company, it is important to familiarise him or her with the work processes, the day-to-day running of the company and all other things related to the job. Written employee guidelines can make the start much easier. In the following you will find a compilation of possible questions that your employee’s guide for the initial training can contain – each one structured according to different topics.
- What are the concrete tasks to be completed? What are the areas of responsibility?
- How are the decision-making processes regulated? Which decisions may the employee take himself? What scope for decision-making is there for the employee?
- Who can be contacted for questions on a specific topic?
- Who are the superiors?
- Who is responsible for what in the company?
- How are the goals defined? How is the achievement of goals evaluated?
- How are projects handled in the company? Are there specific processes that need to be taken into account?
- Are there certain processes that need to be followed in crisis situations? (e.g. social media, customer terminates contract).
- What working time model is there?
- With fixed working time models: When does the work begin? When does the work end?
- For flexible working time models: Is there a core working time?
- How are obligatory breaks regulated? Can the employee schedule them freely or are they scheduled at a specific time or in a specific time slot?
- How is the working time documented?
- How are coffee breaks or smoking breaks regulated?
- Who must be informed about external meetings (e.g. customer appointments)? (e.g. reception, supervisor, etc.)
- Is it possible to do work in a home office?
- If so, how must a home office day be announced?
- Do the home office days have to be approved? If so, by whom?
- How can e-mails & documents be accessed from home office?
- Are there notebooks that can be borrowed for home office use?
- What are the overtime regulations?
- Are overtime hours to be registered? If so, with whom?
- How are overtime hours paid?
- What is the maximum amount of overtime that can be worked?
- How is the holiday requested?
- How far in advance must the leave be requested?
- How many days of holiday are available to the employee per year?
- Are there special holiday rules? (e.g. company holidays)
- How is the substitution during leave to be regulated?
- Are there any special provisions for availability during the holiday?
Case of illness
- When must a doctor’s certificate be submitted?
- Who should be notified in case of illness and by when?
- How is the replacement to be arranged in case of illness?
- What is the booking procedure for a business trip?
- What flat rates are available for business trips?
- What do I need to consider during business trips? (e.g. storage of receipts)
- Do meeting rooms have to be pre-booked? If so, how does this work?
- Which recurring meetings are there in the company? (e.g. Jour Fixe, departmental meeting)
Technology at the workplace
- What is the password for the WLAN?
- How is the use of private smartphones regulated?
- How is the private use of Internet at the workplace regulated?
- What equipment is available (e.g. beamers, laptops, flipcharts). How can this equipment be borrowed?
- Where are the printers? What are the names of the various printers?
- Where can I find which documents on the company drives?
- Where are the templates for important documents stored (e.g. reports, invoices, contracts, etc.)
- How are digital documents to be labelled and filed?
- Is the phone forwarded when someone is not at work? How does the call forwarding setup work?
- Where can the internal telephone numbers/e-mail addresses or contact details of customers be found? Which e-mail lists can be used?
- How can a telephone call be forwarded to another employee?
- How is the availability of service telephones regulated?
- How can company e-mails be accessed from outside?
- What dress code is available in the office? What is the dress code for customer appointments?
- How are customers addressed personally? (e.g. first name, last name)
- What are the special characteristics of external communication?
- What options are there for lunch in the area?
- Is it allowed to eat at work? Are there special facilities for eating/cooking?
- Where are drinks available in the company? Are the drinks free of charge?
- Where can I find regular office supplies in the company? (e.g. pens, paper)
- Are certain services provided in cooperation with regular partners? (e.g. taxi companies, airlines, hotel chains, craftsmen, translators)
- Are there special employee discounts? (internal and external)
- What opportunities are there for further training?